Welcome to WebDesignPrimer.com!
The book was developed for a one-semester course in web design for students in Ryerson’s School of Graphic Communications Management (GCM) and Cal Poly’s Graphic Communication (GrC) and may also be useful for high school, community college, or training center courses on beginning web design — or for anyone who wants to read the eBook and complete the tutorials on their own.
The goal of the book is to provide students with a reference on some of the latest web design practices that is short and to-the-point, free, and readily accessible.
The site contains tutorial files for hands-on computer lab activities. Tutorials include starting HTML files, images, and abbreviated instructions called “CheatSheets.” All photos and material were taken and written by the authors and may be used freely for educational purposes.
What You Will Need
To use the Web Design eBook and this site for a course similar to Ryerson or Cal Poly’s, you will need:
- A computer, preferably with a large-screen display, for each student
- An HTML-editing program, such as Adobe Dreamweaver
- An image-editing program, such as Adobe Photoshop
- An animation program, like Adobe Edge, Tumult Hype, or similar. If using Flash, Google’s free “Swiffy” plugin enables exporting HTML5 that will work on iOS devices.
- Optionally, a server where students’ work can be uploaded to and viewed on the web. In this case, a file-transfer utility like “FileZilla” may also be useful.